Wednesday 8 January 2014

What's cooking...

I was very pleased to be looking at medieval cookbooks today as part of the course "England in the Time of Richard III". I take part in Medieval re-enactment, and a large part of that is food.

Forme of Cury is a text that I've heard a lot about over the years.  A few years ago, something wonderful happened. It was placed online. Not just the words, but actual photographs of the pages.
Of course, if you're having some trouble reading it, don't fret, you're not alone. That's why it's useful to have the transcript available online as well, along with modern redactions of all the recipes.

Next, we've been given a link to an English translation (translation by Janet Hinson from the French edition of Jerome Pichon published in 1846) of "Le Menagier de Paris"I've not heard of this text before, so I'm looking forward to diving in and finding new recipes to try.

And our third link today is "Le Viandier de Taillevent", which has been translated into English by James Prescott. We are told that this collection "...has the distinction of being the first printed cookery book..."

It looks like I'll be dusting off a few of these. I have a particular occasion coming up where I need to present at least one medieval dish.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/england-of-richard-third

No comments:

Post a Comment