Monday 13 January 2014

New Course -- Climate Change: Challenges and Solutions

This makes it three courses I'm doing this week, so lets hope I can juggle them all; I have a few weeks coming up where I'll be doing four at a time, so this is good practice...

The course has a basic introduction telling us how to blog and tweet our progress, then we get into the basics. This tells us basically what the greenhouse effect is, what the albedo effect is, and what gases are keeping the heat in.

1.3 sends us to this website: http://climate.nasa.gov/causes. This is a pretty good link and I think it's one that a lot of people could stand to read about. It gives a rundown on the greenhouse effect and solar irradiance.

After a video at 1.4, we've been asked at what 1.5 what we think are changes in a) weather and b) climate.

Weather is a day to day change. It's sunny today, but I think later in the week it might rain. That's a change in the weather.

Climate is much more broad spanning. A change in the climate might be where an area with traditional seasonal rains became increasingly arid over the course of a long period of time (such as occurred in Australia, which was once covered in rainforests but is now mostly desert: http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/education/Resources/rainforests/Australian_Rainforests

At 1.6 I'm seeing the fourth video for this course. If this trend keeps up, I'm going to fly through this course. I do like the ability to leave the audio running while I'm typing.  I'm seeing that I'm going to enjoy this course.


No comments:

Post a Comment