Thursday 30 January 2014

The place I live: an exercise from Principles of Written English


Objective, Optimistic, Humorous, Sentimental, Angry, Frustrated, Excited

Of these words, I need to choose three and write about the place I live (house, bedroom, etc.), using the tone of each word I have chosen.

Objective: My home is a two storey house on 600m2. Upstairs, we have three bedrooms, a kitchen, dining area, bathroom, and lounge. Downstairs are two more bedrooms, along with another kitchen, dining area, bathroom and lounge. For this reason, we decided to split the house into two residences. Flooring downstairs is linoleum and tile throughout, while upstairs there are polished wooden floors in the lounge, linoleum throughout the food areas, and carpeting in the bedrooms.

Excited: Moving in was a dream come true. Our house. Our house. No more renting, no more shifting--here we can be secure.
And the day we moved in--Oh! that was a brilliant surprise! My husband accidentally kicked up the edge of the carpet in the lounge room, and underneath was this amazing polished wood floor. So, that night, we pulled the lot up before we moved the furniture in.

Sentimental: My garden is my haven. Beyond everywhere else in my house, this is where I have invested my time and energy, into these precious seedlings which will someday nourish me and the people I love. Radishes and beans and broccoli and herbs and so many more plants, each rewarding me with the dirt beneath my fingernails and the joy as each shoot pokes its first leaves above the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment